Frequently Asked Questions / Preguntas Frecuentes

What are the hours of the school day?

Start time: 9:00 AM
Dismissal: 3:05 PM

What are the kindergarten attendance requirements?

***This is a CHANGE from previous years of Kennett Kindergarten Attendance Requirements***

(Excerpt from the Kennett Consolidated School District Student/Parent Handbook)


A. Residency

A child shall be considered a resident of the Kennett Consolidated School District if either his/her parents or the legal guardians of his/her person reside in the District. If a child’s parents or legal guardians are divorced or separated, he/she shall be allowed to attend District schools if his/her custodial parent or legal guardian resides in the District and he/she resides with the custodial parent or legal guardian. The superintendent shall have the power to require proof of residence by a sworn statement and by other criteria. Ownership of a property in and of itself does not constitute residency.

B. Absences/Tardiness

The Kennett Consolidated School District believes that regular attendance in the classroom is conducive to learning and that frequent absences of pupils from regular classes disrupt the continuity of the instructional process. The District believes that through daily attendance:

  • Continuity of learning leads to improved student achievement;
  • Regular school attendance that includes active and regular classroom participation leads to improved student achievement;
  • A level of responsibility will develop and prepare students for adulthood and the workforce of the 21st century.

Class participation is a factor in determining student achievement. The school cannot teach students who are not present. Poor attendance may limit accomplishments and reinforce a habit, which will handicap the individual in future education or employment.

Therefore, in accordance with the laws of the state, the Kennett Consolidated School District requires the regular attendance each day that school is in session of all school age children.

Excused Absences

The school laws of Pennsylvania require children of compulsory school age to be in attendance on all days school is in session. Compulsory school age is Kindergarten*, or age 8 through age 17. A student’s excused absence may be for reasons that include:

  • Illness
  • Quarantine
  • Death in the immediate family
  • Absence for religious holidays
  • Religious instruction
  • Health care appointment for student
  • Tutorial work
  • The school buses inability to operate in inclement weather.

*Once a child is enrolled in Kindergarten, or in any other grade, he/she is subject to the Pennsylvania Education Code’s compulsory attendance requirements.

Make Up Work Due to Legal Absences (Administrative review and approval is required)

A student shall be permitted to make up work and/or examinations missed while legally absent from school. Arrangements for making up work shall be made between the individual student and his/her teacher(s), in consultation as needed with the building principal or his/her designee. It shall be the building principal’s responsibility to insure that an effective procedure is established for making up work between the student and teachers.

Absence Notes

Parents/Guardians should call the school when a student is absent and must send a note to school. The note must include the students first and last name, the date, reason for absence, and parent /guardian signature. This note must be received within three (3) school days in order for the absence to be excused. If the note is received after three (3) school days, the absence will be marked unlawful/unexcused.

Pre-printed excuse forms in English and Spanish are available from each school.

The Mary D. Lang Kindergarten Center highly recommends that excuse notes for absences be sent electronically by fax (610-444-6183) or by email to all of the following:

*your child’s teacher (first name initial last
*Mrs. Henry:
*Mrs. Martinez:

Unexcused or Unlawful Absences

“Unlawful absence” is an absence without valid excuse for all students in Kindergarten through age 17. “Unexcused absence” is an absence without valid excuse age 17 or older. Some examples of Unlawful/Unexcused absence and lateness are:

  • Employment not sanctioned by the school
  • Truancy
  • Parent neglect
  • Over sleeping
  • Missing the bus
  • Private transportation breakdown
  • Shopping
  • Baby sitting
  • Staying home to do school work
  • Staying home to care for family members who are ill

Students who elect not to participate in a field trip or other special school event are still expected to attend school.

Follow-up to Unlawful Absences for Students Who Are of Compulsory School Age

  • The attendance secretary shall record unlawful absences
  • After three (3) days or equivalent of unlawful absence, the school will send a truancy notice of violation (NOV letter) to the parent/guardian. Once the NOV letter has been sent, it will remain in effect until the student reaches age 17.
  • After the next unlawful absence (the 4th unlawful absence), a truancy citation will be sent to the district court by the School District, and the District Judge will schedule a truancy hearing. The District Judge may assign fines up to $300.00 per unlawful day to the parent/guardian (or to a child over the age of 13)

Chronic Cases of Unlawful Absenteeism for Students Who Are of Compulsory School Age

  • If, after the first citation and hearing, additional unlawful absences occur, the principal shall consult with the District social worker to formulate a plan to improve the student’s attendance pattern.
  • Simultaneously, the social worker may refer the case to one or more of the following agencies:
    • Chester County Children Youth and Family Services
    • Magisterial District Court
  • Other agenciesThe social worker shall report the status to the appropriate administrator on an ongoing basis.

In instances when a student’s absences or lateness to school becomes chronic or irregular, the school will require a physician’s note. If a physician’s note is not received within three (3) days of the absence, the absence will be marked unlawful/unexcused. A doctor’s note will be required once a student misses more than ten (10) absences during one school year.

C. Absences Due to Family Trips During the School Year

Requests by parents for permission to have children absent from school for family trips must be made in writing and processed by the principal or his/her designee. The request must be received by the principal at least ten (10) days prior to the anticipated absence. Absences approved by the principal will be considered excused.

Before approving absences due to family trips, the principal or his/her designee will review the current academic and attendance status of the student and will review Kennett Consolidated School District’s attendance policy. The student shall be held responsible for making up missed assignments and tests.

If a student goes on a trip for more than ten (10) consecutive school days or has an unexcused/unlawful absence of more than ten (10) consecutive school days, the student will be withdrawn from the Kennett Consolidated School District.

Request for Early Dismissal/Late Arrival

All cases of early dismissal require a note from the parent/guardian stating the time, date, and reason for dismissal as well as a number where a parent may be reached.

  • When the parent or guardian comes to the school office for his/her child, he/she must present identification. If the student legally drove to school, the student must report to the office and sign out.
  • Student absences that result from early dismissal shall be treated in accordance with attendance laws.
  • Upon his/her late arrival, the student must present a written excuse signed by a parent or guardian. The note must clearly indicate the reason for the late arrival.

What are the cafeteria prices?

Breakfast: $1.50
Reduced: $ .30
Milk: $ .60
Lunch: $2.50
Reduced: $ .40

What about snacks?

A snack time is provided during the school day. Parents will need to provide a healthy snack for their child.

May I send a birthday treat for my child’s birthday?

Parents who wish to provide birthday treats must bring them to the office for an allergy check by the MDLKC nurse then distribution during student lunches in the cafeteria. Non-food treats such as pencils, stickers, etc. are highly recommended and can be distributed in the classroom by the teacher. In keeping with the district’s commitment to wellness and healthy life styles, please adhere to the KCSD Wellness Policy found in the KCSD Student/Parent Handbook. This policy prohibits homemade food items. All food must be purchased from a reputable store and must be clearly labeled with ingredients. Items in need of refrigeration will not be accepted.

How can I keep up with the events and special activities being held?

– Teachers will keep you informed of activities going on in their classrooms with notes and letters home as well as some who utilize links on the district website

– Office communications will come in the form of weekly Bottom of the Bookbag electronic newsletters. On occasion, reminder memos will be sent home with students.

– Utilize the KCSD district calendar. This calendar also notes holidays, vacations and special events being held in all KCSD schools

What should I do if my child is late to school?

Students who are late (arriving after 9:00 AM) are to be escorted to the office by their parent who must then sign them in.

What do I need to do if my child is a pick-up or early dismissal?

– Parents wishing to pick-up their child either at MDLKC or the student’s home school must provide a written note stating the student’s first and last name, date, and from where the student will be picked up. A parent signature is required in the pick-up logbook at the pick-up location.

– All cases of early dismissal require a written note from the parent/guardian stating the student’s first and last name, date, time of dismissal and reason for the early dismissal. A parent signature is required in the log notebook on the office counter.

– In the event of an unexpected early dismissal due to an emergency, please contact the office by 2:30 PM to ensure a smooth dismissal.

– An early dismissal after 2:55 PM must be picked up at the Mulberry Street location.

Where do I pick-up my child for an end-of-day pick-up or early dismissal?

– End-of-day pick-ups occur at the Mulberry Street entrance.

– Early dismissal pick-ups occur in the office.

What are the volunteer opportunities?

Volunteers (parent, grandparent, siblings of age) are needed and welcome at the MDLKC. Volunteers must obtain the proper Clearances as specified in PA Act 153. Contact the office for more information.

Is there a parent organization?

We have a parent support group, the Parent Events Committee, that meets on a monthly basis to plan school-wide special events. This is a great way for parents who can’t volunteer during the school day to volunteer at another time that might better suit them. Watch for BOBB announcements regarding meetings and events.

What if my phone number, address or other contact information changes?

If your residence, mailing address, phone number, workplace or any other pertinent information changes during the time your child is enrolled at the Mary D. Lang Kindergarten Center, it is extremely important that you contact the office at 610-444-6260 and inform us of the changes.


Preguntas Frecuentes (FAQ) A. S. 2015-16

Cual es el horario del día escolar?

Hora de Inicio: 9:00 AM
Hora de Salida: 3:05 PM

¿Cuáles son los requerimientos de asistencia del Kínder?

***Este es un CAMBIO respecto a los años anteriores de los requisitos de asistencia al Kindergarten de Kennett***

(Extracto del Manual del Estudiante/Padre del Distrito Escolar Consolidado)


A. Residencia

Se considerará residentes de Kennett Consolidated School District a los niños

cuyos padres o tutores legales residan en el Distrito. Si los padres o tutores legales del niño están divorciados o separados, se le permitirá asistir a las escuelas del Distrito siempre que el padre o tutor legal a quien corresponde la custodia resida en el Distrito y que el niño resida con el padre o tutor legal responsable de la custodia. El Superintendente estará autorizado a exigir una constancia de domicilio mediante declaración jurada y cumplimiento de otros criterios. La titularidad sobre una propiedad por sí misma no constituye residencia.

B. Ausencias/Llegadas tarde

Kennett Consolidated School District considera que la asistencia regular a clases ayuda para el aprendizaje y que las ausencias frecuentes de los alumnos a las clases regulares interrumpen la continuidad del proceso educativo. El Distrito considera que, a través de la asistencia diaria:

  • La continuidad del aprendizaje lleva a mejorar los logros de los estudiantes;
  • La asistencia regular a clase, lo cual incluye la participación activa y regular en el aula, lleva a mejorar los logros de los estudiantes;
  • Asumir un nivel de responsabilidad desarrollará y preparará a los estudiantes para la vida adulta y para ser parte de la fuerza laboral del siglo 21.

La participación en clase es un factor determinante para los logros de un estudiante. La escuela no puede educar a los estudiantes que no estén presentes. Un bajo nivel de asistencia puede limitar los logros y reforzar un hábito que perjudicará al individuo en su educación o empleo a futuro.

Por lo tanto, de acuerdo con las leyes del estado, Kennett Consolidated School

District exige la asistencia regular de todos los niños en edad escolar cada día que se dicten clases.

Ausencias justificadas

Las leyes escolares de Pennsylvania requieren que los niños en edad escolar obligatoria asistan a la escuela cada día que se dicten clases. La edad escolar obligatoria es Kindergarten, o desde los 8 a los 17 años. Se considera que la inasistencia de un estudiante es justificada cuando se debe a razones entre las que se incluyen:

  • Enfermedad
  • Cuarentena
  • Muerte de un familiar cercano
  • Inasistencia por festividades religiosas
  • Instrucción religiosa
  • Cita o turno médico del estudiante
  • Realización de trabajos para cursos dictados fuera de la escuela
  • Imposibilidad de circulación de los autobuses escolares por inclemencia climática.

*Una vez que el niño esta matriculado en o en cualquier otro grado el/ella esta sujeto a los requisitos de educación obligatoria del Código de Educación de Pennsylvania.

Tarea de recuperación a causa de inasistencias legales (se requiere revisión y aprobación administrativa)

Al estudiante se le permitirá recuperar los trabajos y/o exámenes a los que no haya podido asistir durante el período en que se halló legalmente ausente de la escuela. La recuperación de un trabajo deberá ser coordinada entre el estudiante particular y sus maestros, consultando al director de la escuela o al personal designado, según fuera necesario. Será responsabilidad del director de la escuela asegurar trabajos entre el estudiante y sus maestros.

Notificaciones de Ausencia

Los padres o tutores deberán llamar a la escuela en caso de inasistencia de un estudiante y deberán enviar una notificación. Dicha notificación debe incluir el nombre y el apellido del estudiante, la fecha, el motivo de la inasistencia y la firma del padre o tutor. Además, deberá ser recibida en plazo no mayor a tres (3) días de clase para que la inasistencia sea justificada. Si dicha notificación se recibe después de tres (3) días de clase, la inasistencia será computada como no lícita o no justificada.

Todas las escuelas cuentan con formularios pre-impresos de justificación de ausencias en inglés y en español.

Mary D. Lang Kindergarten Center, altamente recomienda que las notas de la justificación de las ausencias sean enviadas electrónicamente por fax (610-444-6183) o por correo electrónico a TODAS las siguientes personas:

*a la maestra de su niño (inicial del primer nombre y apellido
*Sra. Henry:
*Sra. Martinez:

Ausencias no justificadas o ilegales

“Ausencia Ilegal” es una ausencia sin excusa válida para todos los estudiantes desde kindergarten hasta los 17 años de edad. “Ausencia injustificada” es una ausencia sin excusa válida para los estudiantes de 17 años o mayores. Algunos ejemplos de ausencias Ilegales / Injustificadas o llegadas tardes ilícitas o no justificadas son:

  • Empleo no aprobado por la escuela
  • Ausentismo escolar
  • Negligencia por parte de los padres
  • Quedarse dormido
  • Perder el autobús
  • Desperfecto mecánico en el medio de transporte privado
  • Salida de compras
  • Quedarse a cuidar niños
  • Quedarse en casa para hacer la tarea escolar
  • Quedarse en casa para cuidar a un familiar enfermo

Aquellos estudiantes que decidan no participar en una excursión u otro evento escolar especial de todos deben asistir de todos modos a la escuela.

Seguimiento de las Ausencias Injustificadas de Los Estudiantes en Edad Escolar Obligatoria.

  • La secretaría de asistencia registrará las inasistencias no lícitas.
  • Luego de tres (3) días o equivalente de ausencias injustificadas, la escuela enviará una notificación de violación por ausentismo escolar (carta NOV, por sus siglas en inglés) al padre o tutor. Una vez que la carta NOV haya sido envidada, permanecerá vigente hasta que el estudiante cumpla los 17 años.
  • Luego de la siguiente inasistencia no lícita (la 4°), el Distrito Escolar enviará una citación de ausentismo escolar al tribunal de Distrito y el Juez de Distrito fijará una audiencia de ausentismo escolar. El Juez de Distrito puede aplicar multas de hasta 300.00 U$S por día de inasistencia no lícita al padre o tutor (o a los niños mayores de 13 años).

Casos crónicos de ausentismo ilegal de estudiantes en edad escolar obligatoria

  • Si, luego de la primera citación y audiencia, persisten las ausencias ilegales, el director deberá consultar al trabajador social del Distrito para confeccionar un plan para mejorar el patrón de asistencia del estudiante.
  • Simultáneamente, el trabajador social puede remitir el caso a una o más de las siguientes agencias: o Servicio para la Niñez, la Juventud y la Familia del Condado de Chester (Chester County Children Youth and Family Services) o Tribunal Inferior del Distrito (Magisterial District Court) u otras agencias.
  • El trabajador social deberá informar la situación al administrador que corresponda, de manera continua.
  • En aquellos casos en que las inasistencias o llegadas tarde del estudiante se vuelvan crónicas o irregulares, la escuela solicitará un justificativo médico. De no recibirse tal justificativo médico en plazo no mayor a los tres (3) días de inasistencia, la misma se computará como no lícita o no justificada. Toda vez que un estudiante se ausente más de diez

(10) clases durante el año escolar, se solicitará una nota expedida por un médico.

Manual para estudiantes/padres 2012-2013

C. Inasistencias a causa de viajes familiares durante el año escolar

Las solicitudes de los padres para que sus hijos no asistan a la escuela a causa de viajes familiares deberán hacerse por escrito y ser procesadas por el director o el personal designado a tal efecto. El director deberá recibir la solicitud con al menos diez (10) días de anticipación al período previsto de inasistencia. Las inasistencias aprobadas por el director se considerarán justificadas.

Antes de aprobar inasistencias con motivo de viajes familiares, el director o el personal designado revisarán la situación actual académica y de asistencia del estudiante, así como la política de asistencia de Kennett Consolidated School

District. El estudiante será responsable de recuperar las asignaciones y exámenes no realizados.

Si un estudiante se va de viaje durante más de diez (10) días de clase consecutivos o tiene más de diez (10) días consecutivos de inasistencia no lícita ni justificada, se lo expulsará de Kennett Consolidated School District.

Solicitud de autorización para salidas antes de horario o llegadas tarde

En todos los casos de salidas antes de horario se requiere una nota del padre o tutor que consigne la hora, fecha y motivo de la salida antes de horario, así como también un número telefónico de contacto.

  • Cuando el padre o tutor se presente en la escuela para retirar a su hijo, deberá presentar una identificación. Si el estudiante concurrió a la escuela manejando legalmente su automóvil, deberá presentarse en oficinas y firmar su salida.
  • Las inasistencias producto de las salidas antes de horario se tratarán de acuerdo con las leyes de asistencia.
  • En caso de llegada tarde, los estudiantes deberán presentar una justificación por escrito firmada por su padre o tutor. La nota deberá indicar claramente el motivo de la llegada tarde.

Cual es el horario del día escolar?

Hora de Inicio: 9:00 AM
Hora de Salida: 3:05 PM

Cuales son los precios en la cafetería?

Desayuno: $1.50
Rebajado: $ .30
Leche: $ .60
Almuerzo: $2.50
Rebajado: $ .40

Que pasa con los bocadillos?

Durante el día escolar se asigna un tiempo para que los alumnos coman un bocadillo. Los padres necesitaran proveer de bocadillos saludables para sus niños.

Puedo mandar regalos por el cumpleaños de mi niño/a?

Los padres que deseen mandar regalos por el cumpleaños de sus niños, deberán traerlos a la oficina para ser revisados por alergias por la enfermera de MDLKC y luego serán distribuidos durante el almuerzo de los estudiantes en la cafetería. Regalos que no sean comestibles tales como lápices, pegatinas, etc. son altamente recomendados y podrán ser distribuidos en el aula por la maestra. Para mantener el compromiso del distrito de un estilo de vida saludable, por favor adhiérase a la Política de Bienestar y Salud de KCSD que puede encontrarlo en el Manual del Estudiante/Padre. Esta política prohíbe alimentos hechos en casa. Todo alimento debe ser adquirido en una tienda conocida y en la etiqueta deben estar especificados claramente los ingredientes. No se aceptaran artículos que necesiten refrigeración.

Como puedo mantenerme al tanto de los eventos y actividades especiales que se realizaran?

– Las maestras les mantendrán informados de las actividades en sus aulas con notas y cartas enviadas a las casas así también con enlaces en la página web del distrito.

– Comunicaciones de la oficina les llegara semanalmente a través de boletines electrónicos en Bottom of the Bookbag. En ocasiones se enviaran con los estudiantes notas recordatorios.

– Utilice el calendario del distrito KCSD. Este calendario contiene fiestas, vacaciones y eventos especiales que se realizan en las distintas escuelas de KCSD.

Que debo hacer si mi niño/a esta tarde para la escuela?

Los estudiantes que están tarde (llegando después de las 9:00 AM) tienen que ser acompañados por el padre a la oficina, quien deberá registrar la llegada.

Que necesito hacer si mi niño va ha ser recogido o saldrá temprano?

– Los padres que deseen recoger a su niño ya sea en MDLKC o en la escuela en que hace cambio de bus, tiene que entregar una nota escrita con el nombre y apellido del estudiante, fecha y donde el estudiante será recogido. El padre tiene que firmar en el lugar donde lo recoge.

– Todos los casos de salida temprana requieren de una nota escrita del padre/tutor indicando el primer nombre y apellido del estudiante, fecha, hora de salida y razón para la salida temprana. La firma del padre es necesaria en el libro de registro en el mostrador de la oficina.

– En el evento de una salida temprana inesperada debido a una emergencia, por favor contacte a la oficina hasta las 2:30PM para asegurar una salida sin problemas.

– Una salida temprana después de las 2:55PM deberán ser recogidos en la entrada de Mulberry Street.

Donde recojo a mi niño al final del día o si sale temprano?

– Para recoger a los niños al final del día se harán en la entrada de Mulberry Street.

– Salidas tempranas se realizan en la oficina.

Cuales son la oportunidades para voluntarios?

Voluntarios (padres, abuelos, hermanos mayores) son necesitados y bienvenidos en MDLKC. Voluntarios deberán obtener sus antecedentes penales como especifica en la Ley 153 de PA. Ponerse en contacto con la oficina para más información.

Hay una organización de padres?

Tenemos un grupo de apoyo El Comité de eventos para padres que se reúne mensualmente para planificar los eventos especiales para toda la escuela. Esta es una gran oportunidad para los padres que no pueden participar como voluntarios durante el día escolar puedan hacerlo en otro momento que les acomode mejor. Estén pendientes por anuncios concernientes a reuniones o eventos en BOBB.

Y si mi número de teléfono, dirección u otra información de contacto cambia?

Si su residencia, dirección de correo, número telefónico, lugar de trabajo o cualquier otra información pertinente cambia durante el tiempo en que su niño está matriculado en Mary D. Lang Kindergarten Center, es extremadamente importante que usted se contacte con la oficina al 610-444-6260 y nos informe de los cambios.

Read More